Funding for higher education courses.

When it comes to higher education, students are typically required to pay for their courses as well as to cover the cost of living. A large number of people would typically be unable to pay the amount required upfront but there is a solution for this.

If you are a UK citizen or a EU resident, you are eligible to apply for Student Finance England (SFE) and receive either a loan or a grant.

You can be eligible for both tuition and maintenance loan. This loan will allow you to fully concentrate on your studies without having to worry about not being able to cover your tuition or living expenses. You will only have to pay back this loan after you begin earning £27,000 or over per year.

Eligibility criteria’s for course funding.

Eligibility for Student Finance depends on the following factors:

  1. The age of the student.

  2. The Nationality or Residency Status of the student.

  3. The College/University the student will be attending.

  4. The Course the student has selected.

  5. Whether or not the student has previously studied a higher level course.

To be eligible for student finance, the course will have to be one of the following:

  1. A first degree, for example BA, BSc or BEd.

  2. A Foundation Degree.

  3. A Certificate of Higher Education.

  4. A Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE).

  5. A Higher National Certificate (HNC).

  6. A Higher National Diploma (HND).

  7. An Initial Teacher Training course.

  8. An integrated master’s degree.

  9. A pre-registration postgraduate healthcare course.

If you have previously studied a higher education course:

  • If you have previously studied one of the courses listed above, you may no longer be eligible to apply for student finance again for a following course. This applies even if you previously funded your course privately.​

However, you may still be eligible:

  1. If you stopped your course within the first year, you’ll get funding for the same course or a new course when you go back.

  2. You might also get funding if you:

  3. Suspended your course or withdrew before it was finished – and going back to study any course.

  4. are repeating a year of your course at the same university.

Your Age:

  • The minimum age to get student finance is 18. There is no upper age limit so anyone over 18 can claim student finance if they meet the eligibility criteria.

Nationality & Residency Status.

Students with the following status have the ability to apply for student finance:

  1. You are a UK national.

  2. You have a settled Status.

  3. You live in England.

  4. You have been living in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the UK for 3 years before starting your course.

If you are not a UK national and are from another country in Europe, depending on the country you may still be eligible for student finance.

If you are not sure if you are eligible for student finance, give us a call and we will assist you through the process and help you find out if you are eligible.

Loans and grants.

Tuition Loans:

  • When you have met the eligibility criteria for Student finance, you can fill out an application and wait for it to be accepted. When it is accepted, the university fees will be covered by Student Finance England who will directly pay the amount to the university of your choice. Tuition loans are paid over a long period of time and will only start getting paid off when you start earning over £21,000 a year.

Maintenance Loans:

  • Maintenance loans is the money that will be provided to help you with your costs of living. This money will be paid directly to you and it will help you with paying for rent, bills, food and other necessities. The amount of maintenance loan you may receive will be dependant on multiple factors such as your circumstances and your household income. This money is sent straight to your bank account